Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Summer in the Balkans?

Weeell, yesterday I received an email from the anthro student society about some summer opportunities in archaeology that looked so cool, I thought I'd share them. Not entirely sure if I'll be able to do this in my undergrad (but rest assured, I will be doing it at some point). The archaeological projects that are open to student participation are in Bulgaria and Macedonia and there's a few really neat ones. There's 12, but here's the one's I think are most interesting:

Fresco Hunting

Searching in abandoned chapels in Western Bulgaria to document medieval frescoes.


Excavating early Neolithic settlements: remains of dwellings with under-floor drainage systems, kitchen spaces with ovens and grain storage, and artifacts such as pottery sherds, clay figurines and jewels, all from the first half of the 6th millenium BC.


Excavation of Heraclea, an ancient city in North-Western Macedonia, named after Hercules. This excavation focuses on the residential area in front of the already uncovered theatre. Basically a lot of pretty cool Hellenistic, Roman, and Late Antique stuff, as well as some real lab and archaeological processual training.



Apollonia Pontica Excavation: Ancient Greek colony in Bulgaria. Many of the artifacts originally found at this site are now in the Louvre. Since the first excavation, a pre-Christian temple has been unearthed, presumably dedicated to Apollo as well as a later Byzantine basilica.


*All pictures are from the website of the Balkan Heritage Field School: http://www.bhfieldschool.org/bh2007.html
So anyway, those are my favourites, the last town looks especially beautiful. These are also awesome opportunities for training in dealing with artifacts as well as creating all the documentation and mapping that goes along with an archaeological excavation. Needless to say I would looove to do something like this. Being a student there are so many opportunities to get involved in excavations, and the experience, I think, is a huge asset. That's why I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that I might be able to go in the summer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment